Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lily's Sick Art Session

So Lily's been sick for a few days with a sore throat and fever. Today her fever reached 103, and she still had the sweet consideration to paint pictures for me and Heather. In addition to these, Lily painted several other paintings that are now hanging in her room.

I'm reading 'The Education of Henry Adams' right now, and there is a section that describes how during summer, it was all about experiencing nature and enjoying oneself outdoors, and during the winter, it was school. I'm trying to adopt that approach with Lil in an effort to create a balance between book learning and experiential learning.

After I woke up and was given my painting, the whole family ended up outside for an art session. I painted a purple pony per Lily's request, and Heather painted some beautiful wildflowers. Lily is in a somewhat geometric phase in her artistic career, but she also painted a piece that looks a lot like truffula trees from 'The Lorax'.

As I attempt to find some kind of balance in my own life between work, sleep, and wanting to read, draw, write more, I'm going to use today as a lesson in going with the flow and just following Lily's and Heather's lead.  This lesson will take a long time for me to learn, I know, but once again, I'm reminded of the words in Ben Jonson's 'Noble Nature'... "In small proportions we just beauties see, and in short measures, life may perfect be."  

Thanks for the art/life lesson today, girls.



No comments:

Post a Comment