Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mini-road trip to San Diego

Today was a fun day. After our usual Wednesday morning-afternoon schedule (preschool, lunch, nap), Heather, Lily, and I drove down to Carlsbad to visit friends who are joining us on a trip to the San Diego Wild Animal Park tomorrow.

I'm excited for this trip for a few reasons, not the least of which is the chance to see a live cheetah. I'm also glad that this opportunity came during screen-free week (no TV) because I want to be able to associate this week with something totally positive like hanging out with friends and seeing wild animals. I don't want this week to be a dark memory of a time when we just couldn't watch TV for a few days so daddy could try to make a point.

Road trips nowadays almost always involve some sort of digital media, whether it's a DVD playing or a game being played on an iPhone. Well, I'm proud to say that we did neither of those, and we are all still alive. What we did instead was talk (that's when people speak words to one another, usually centered around connected ideas). We also listened to two books on CD, 'The Kissing Hand' and 'The Giving Tree'. I highly recommend both books.

After arriving at our friends' house, we cooked, ate, played, and talked until bedtime, all without the assistance of video distractions (music was a great substitute). Personally, I'm enjoying this time of strengthening of my network of friends. It's a bonding time for adult friends and kid friends alike, and I'm looking forward to continuing that experience tomorrow at the wild animal park.

Til then, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment