Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Brightest Rose

I was going to write about the Earth Day project Lily did today, but then she did something that in my opinion was remarkable. She wrote (dictated while I wrote) her first poem, and it was for me and Heather. Lily titled it "The Brightest Rose", and I'm copying it with her permission below.


It's as sweet as a rose
And I love you so much.
And I sing for you,
And I love to write poems for you.
I love you Mommy and Daddy.

I will squeeze you so much,
And I will hug you so much,
And I will pick you a flower outside in our backyard,
And I love you Mommy and Daddy.


I count myself among the most fortunate of men to have such a thoughtful and clever girl.

It reminds me of something Shakespeare wrote:

"How much more praise deserv’d thy beauty’s use,
If thou couldst answer, “This fair child of mine
Shall sum my count, and make my old excuse,”
Proving his beauty by succession thine.
This were to be new made when thou art old,
And see thy blood warm when thou feel’st it cold."

Perhaps I speak from vanity, but I am very proud of the legacy I see in Lily. She makes the world a better place. I'm a lucky dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment