Friday, April 27, 2012

Father's Day Came Early

A few days ago, I woke up to find an extremely pleasant surprise. Lily had written a book about me. It was a book that she got from Chik-fil-a, and it was filled with information about my favorite things.

It was special enough that she had made something for me. What made it more meaningful was the fact that much of the information in it was true about me, meaning she didn't just fill in random information. She did substitute in a few of her OWN favorites, but for the most part she was right on.

For the record, my favorite movie is NOT Little Mermaid, and I stink at basketball.

So why does this matter so much? It tells me that it really is important to be the best person I can be, because she is paying attention. She is learning what's important to me, and she knows that SHE is important to me (apparently, she's my hobby... See picture).

Every child wants to be understood by their parents, and every parent wants to be understood by their kids. The book Lily made for me was an affirmation that she and I understand each other. That's the only Father's Day gift I need.

Screen-free week is next week, so plan some activities away from the tube like painting, writing poems, starting a garden, cooking, or anything that gets you outdoors.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment